The Bachelor of Theology programme is designed to give men and women thorough preparation for ministry in Ethiopia. Students develop skills in critical thinking, analysis, research, writing, and ministry.
Specific objectives of the programme are as follows:
- Graduates will have knowledge in biblical, theological, and general education areas sufficient to lead the church and diploma level Bible schools.
- Graduates will demonstrate mature Christian character by promoting church unity, being willing to serve at any church level, and by meeting general spiritual qualifications of an elder.
- Graduates will possess practical and ministry skills sufficient for leading the church through pastoral ministry, church planting and evangelism, administration, counselling, translation and literacy, Christian education or academic ministry.
To be awarded a B.Th. degree a student must satisfactorily complete at least 124 semester hours of academic credit and 3 hours of Field Education credit. This is equivalent to four years of full-time study. Students complete academic credits in three areas:
- Required Core Courses (around 80 hours),
- Ministry Major Courses (30 hours), and
- Electives (14 hours).
Students also complete Field Education requirements in three areas:
- Spiritual Formation (3 hours),
- Internship, and
- Reported Ministry in a local church (over 4 semesters).
After students complete 30 credit hours, they declare a Ministry Major, and a Faculty Advisor specific to that Ministry Major is assigned to assist the student with planning academic course loads and field education experience throughout the remainder of the programme.
When students in the degree programme accumulate 90 hours of credit, the faculty reviews each student’s progress toward graduation in academic, field education, and spiritual development areas. Upon completion of at least 124 hours of study, each student’s performance is reviewed by the Administrative Council. If the Council determines that a student has met all requirements for graduation, it will recommend the student to the Board of Trustees to receive the B.Th. Degree.
For more information regarding the admissions process, and to download application forms, please visit the admissions page.